Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Six Months In: Not a Case of Premature Evacuation

It’s been six months since I’ve moved to Portland. I really couldn’t have picked a more perfect place suited to my lifestyle and personality. I have a nice studio apartment overlooking the Park Blocks and Portland State University. I can take leisurely walks to my favorite places- the Riverfront, Central Library, Powell’s, and Pioneer Courthouse Square- or ride the streetcars and trains in the Fareless Square to get there. What’s been so wonderful about living here is getting to do and see new things.

I’m living a truly independent life and all the ups and downs that comes with it. I’m volunteering at a library bookstore but it’s kind of strange that it has helped me more in terms of giving me something to do which I enjoy tremendously than I seem to be of any real service to it. And Portland has also enriched my life with art and culture. I’ve attended bookstore and library events, community celebrations, and museum exhibits- all for free.

Unfortunately, not everything is perfect in Portland. I am still unemployed and my bank account continues to dwindle. Without a source of income, a part of me can’t really give in to the idea that this is my home now because I might have to leave it all behind. I also find myself struggling for simplicity. Even I who has no job have let superfluous things clutter my life and made it more complicated than it needs to be. I wanted every aspect of my life to be simple and perfect right away but I realized that those things take time.

Moving to Portland definitely marks a new chapter in my life and that’s one of the reasons why I wanted to share my experiences in this blog. Even though there’s still a lot to be desired for, my life is not as bleak as I sometimes make it seem. Leaving Las Vegas wasn’t a case of premature evacuation. I was all about goals and lists- actually I still am- but I’m also about the experiences and the adventures as well now. Maybe that’s what I needed to learn- to enjoy the journey, enjoy life.

No comments: