Saturday, June 7, 2008

Volunteering

I figured that while I was still terminally unemployed, it would be a good time to check out what volunteering opportunities there were out in the world. Or, at least, in my immediate vicinity. I was hoping there'd be some at Central Library since it was close by and I was familiar with that environment. I was thinking I could check in and shelve items. I attended a meeting there last week to see what was available. I felt so old that day. I was surrounded by mostly teenagers and some were so young they had a parent with them for supervision. It lasted about an hour- going over some background information on the library district and the different areas in which to volunteer in. Unfortunately, there were no spots at that location but finding out about my work history, one of the coordinators suggested I check out the Friends' Library Store. So I did.

Friends is a non-profit organization run by volunteers that helps support the library system with its sales of not only donated materials like books, CD's and DVD's but also of greeting card, postcards, bookmarks, book ends, literary gifts, shirts, hats, posters, drinks and snacks. For such a small space, I was surprised they could fit all that in.

The interview went well. While my previous work experiences were impressive enough, I think what made them decide to take me was talking to one of my ex-bosses whom I was told said "great things" about yours truly. I'm not sure what the exact words were but it felt nice that someone would have "great things" to say about me.

I just finished my first day there even though I was practically doing everything I would have done working in a bookstore- but without getting paid. The highlight was definitely interacting with the customers. There was a nice lady, who was not only a reader but a booklover as well, and we talked about some good books we've read and even recommended some titles to each other. I missed those connections.

I enjoyed myself and am glad I've rejoined the ranks of the contributing members of society. I look forward to volunteering some more with Friends.

No comments: