Thursday, May 8, 2008

Mark Twain


I watched a film on Samuel Clemens a.k.a. Mark Twain. It was directed by Ken Burns who has made a name for himself with other acclaimed documentaries, most recently "The War". Told through photographs and Twain's own words with insights from scholars and writers, it was an enjoyable way to learn about someone who I was only familiar with through having read a couple of his books- "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer" and "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn"- as a schoolboy.


Mark Twain became a hugely celebrated public figure for his incredible way with words, using them not only to make people laugh- which he did so successfully- but also to explore/expose certain faults of American society. His private life was full of one heartbreaking loss after another and a rollercoaster ride of triumphs and failures. I was just in awe of the way he lived his life and the talent- especially his wit- that I can only wish to fraction of. He was an amazing man and I think deserves all the praise he gets. I will definitely be reading more of his works.

No comments: