Friday, September 30, 2016

Paycheck to Paycheck #2


Financial Snapchat (Debt)
September: $13,515.88
July: $13,619.91
August: $13,670.40



It’s mind boggling that I ever got to this point. I watched Suze Orman’s shows and TV specials. I read financial books and magazines. Before I moved to Portland, I made sure I had a year’s worth of emergency savings, which was a good thing because it took me 7 months to find a job!



I think just having credit cards opens yourself up to debt even if you pay off your balance every month like I did. It was tempting to be able to spend all that money (that didn’t really exist) with so much ease. “Emergencies” became extravagances. Mindless spending joined emotional spending as my unwanted companions!



Paycheck to Paycheck: September



I’m glad to report my debt total decreased from $13,670.40 to $13,515.88 which is encouraging. I had 19 No Spending Days (NSD). I even challenged myself to go one whole week without spending!



I definitely “splurged” more this month because I kept wanting to celebrate moments (like Fall) or to reward myself (like for getting through Mondays). I need to watch that especially when I’m on vacation next month.



I also feel I need to not be too hard on myself if I slip up occasionally because one of my other core principles is: “I will be as good to myself as I am to others.” One of the reasons I decided to share my financial situation in the first place was so we could hopefully learn (myself included) that our true worth is not defined by our bank accounts.

No comments: